Thursday, November 17, 2011

Carrying on the magic

Last night we talked about how we would carry the energy from this course forward. The energy comes from the people in the course, and the relationships built between us.

Here are some of the my thoughts on it:

1. "I'm going to continue to do this work." I don't think this is a helpful phrase. It makes it seem like a large task, something that is easy to procrastinate. I prefer to think of ways I can make it a part of the things I am already doing in my life, rather than some separate pursuit. Integrating this work into anything and everything you are doing in your life IS doing th work.

2. I have been in many groups where the inspiration to continue the magic is abounding on the last day. Each time we have tried to get together in a group, simply for the sake of being in the group and maintaining that feeling. These attempts have led to losing the magic, not preserving it.
My feeling is that we now have an opportunity, coming out of this class to expand and recreate the relationships we built in this class, nit preserve them as they were in the course.
I would love to be invited to everything you are doing, and you will be invited to the things I am doing, and also the things I am attending. Expanding the network. I want to include you in my life. That, I think, is where the inspired conversations will come from.

3. We are all resources to each other, not responsibilities. If you are doing arts for social change work and need help, we are a network of people to look to. If you don't need help, but need an audience, we are a network of people to look to. Support, not obligation.

Just some thoughts on carrying magic past this point from my own experiences. I am excitedly looking forward to working (or playing) with you in the future! So many exciting things have already been created, and I can't wait to create more!

No comments:

Post a Comment